I’d like to introduce you to my newest (ad)venture*, Operation Diversity!
Operation Diversity is a collaborative effort between the wonderful blogger & writer Raven Ashley and myself. We came up with the idea as a way to contribute to the ongoing conversation of diversity (or the lack of) in kidlit (plus NA!). We hope that this blog will teach us just as much as it does others.
After a lot of brainstorming we’d like to invite you, our readers to join us on this adventure. If you’re interested fill out the form below, and feel free to contact us at OperationDiversity(at)gmail(dot)com. We’d also love for you to fill out the form or email us if you’re interested in guest posting or being interviewed (& featured on the site).
Here’s a little about the blog:
Operation Diversity is a blog whose focus will be to highlight and celebrate diversity in MG, YA & NA. The blog will be run by a group of bloggers who will take turns posting throughout the week on topics such as debunking stereotypes, interviews with authors and other industry professionals, book reviews, and Q&As.
The blog will also comprise of stories of our journey to publication and lists of book recommendations from MG to NA with characters from backgrounds not typically portrayed in these books.
Who can apply?
Anyone. I know, last time I mentioned this blog I said there was an age range but erase that from your memory. We want anyone who is interested to apply. Our goal is to encompass a wide variety of backgrounds so that we, as the bloggers, will be able to speak from our own experiences. Note: Not all bloggers must be writers.
Some things we hope this blog will accomplish:
* Raise awareness about ALL kinds of diversity (we DO NOT want this blog to only focus on racial or sexual diversity)
* Have a place for writers to document their journey to writing/querying/publishing their diverse WIPS
* Highlight why diversity is important to us (and to other people)
* Showcase diverse novels/make reading lists so people can know what’s out there
* Have discussions on different aspects of diversity (this can go under getting more people aware of the issue)
* Interview authors who write diverse MG/YA/NA (and maybe librarians/book sellers/editors etc.)
* Have a place where people can submit questions
We are open to suggestions for this blog, so all ideas are welcome. Again please contact us at OperationDiversity(at)gmail(dot)com or comment on this post if you have any questions 🙂
*And yes, I will continue to blog here, I love this blog way too much to stop now 🙂