In addition to being BOOKTOBERFEST! October is also a hotbed month for agent pitch contests. In these contests, often hosted on the blogs of various writers, you have the chance to get up close and personal with an agent. Many times the agents have the ability to request a full or partial manuscript thus bypassing the querying stage.
If you need advice on how to hone your pitch/prepare for these contests visit Sticking to the Story’s blog post on The New Way to Land an Agent.
- Hook, Line & Sinker is a an agent pitch contests hosted between three blogs. They will accept submissions for Middle Grade, Young Adult, and Adult manuscripts, and the submissions window opens at 11AM EDT. There will be three rounds.
Oct. 13-16 – Spooktacular Pitch Extravaganza
- Submissions open on the 13th at 8AM EDT and run until the 16th at 12am EDT. They are accepting submissions for Middle Grade, Young Adult, New Adult, and Adult. 50 entries will be randomly drawn and then proceed to the next round given they submit their pitch and first 250 words.
Oct.15 – Get Your Pitch On
- Commissioning and Managing Editor of Hardie Grant Egmont, Marisa Pintado will be viewing pitches on October 15th. The contest is hosted between two blogs and they will be accepting submissions of anything YA on October 15th until they each reach 100 submissions.
- Starting October 1st about twenty blogs will be available to help you hone your pitch.
Oct. 15-19 – Pitch Live
- Want to Pitch to a real agent? Enter Pitch Live by submitting a video of you pitching your finished novel. Submissions open on October 15th at 8AM, put the link to your video on the linky on the host blog. The contest is for Middle Grade, Young Adult, New Adult, and Adult novels.
Oct 24 – Trick or Treat with an Agent
- Submissions open October 24th at 11am EDT with the first 150 entries making it in. The three blog hosts will then select 12 entries that best fit the interests of the participating agents. Submissions will be accpeted for Middle Grade, Young Adult, and Adult completed manuscripts.
Oct. 30 – Third Annual Baker’s Dozen
- Submit your logline–one-two sentence pitch to the host blog, Middle Grade, Young Adult, and Adult completed manuscripts will be accepted The first submission round for Adult is on October 30 and the first submission round for Middle Grade/Young Adult is Tuesday, November 6th. Out of the total 500 submissions 60 will be chosen to be reviewed, critiqued, etc…by agents, editors…There is a $10 entry fee.
Happy contesting & may the odds be ever in your favor 🙂